Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Judge upholds Falmouth playground ban

Judge upholds Falmouth playground ban

Have mixed feelings when I read this. On one hand, I understand how someone with Asperger's Syndrome does not quite fit in with others. How, you ask? Simple, I have it myself. However, I'm siding with school officials on this one. This kid basically said, "I won't do it, and you can't make me.". Oh yes, they can. When you are in a position of authority, you have the right to expect that those under your authority need to respect it. I mean, if this had been an employee who refused to follow policy, that person would be fired without a second thought. This child's problems, though, are no excuse for him to act out. What are parents today teaching their children? Growing up, I had to do what my parents said, or face consequences. When I was at school, I had to follow the rules there also. More and more, I have found that parents are not teaching respect at home. Why then, are we so surprised that discipline problems are on the rise? All the school asked was that this child not come back to the playground until it could be determined how to best handle his behavior. Perhaps by working with a new counsellor, this child could be taught how to do better in a school environment.

No comments: